Monday, February 15, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day

Last year on February 14th, we told our parents that they were going to be grandparents. It marked the end of keeping the hardest secret I’ve ever kept, and the beginning of our new, wonderful life. Love for this little baby was in the air long before she was even born. We took a Hallmark-manufactured holiday and made it truly something to celebrate.

While I was pregnant, Cora was growing and developing tremendously. I, too, was growing, thanks in part to an insatiable ice cream craving. But mostly my body was changing to accommodate the developing life within. During regular prenatal visits, the medical staff would measure my fundal height to make sure Cora was on track. My growing belly served as reassurance that everything was okay and a constant reminder that soon we would be parents. Often, people would see the baby bump and comment or give me advice. Most frequently I would hear about how my life was going to change. Without prior knowledge or experience, this is something that I naively thought I understood.

Now that she’s here I realize that indeed, life has changed. How foolish to think I think I was prepared for this little bundle and the catalyst she has become in my life. It is truly something that you can’t prepare for. It’s wonderful. It’s indescribable. It’s immeasurable. I've fallen in love again. My heart is growing by leaps and bounds, but this transformation isn’t as obvious to the average passerby-unlike those days where my belly served as physical marker to the world that tremendous change was occurring.

Whenever life starts getting to me, I look at that little, cherub face, and all my troubles melt away. I hope Cora knows, without reservation or special occasion, she is loved. She's my Valentine everyday of the year.

Happy Valentine's Day, baby bird!

1 comment:

  1. what a lucky little angel to have such a loving family. your sweet post made me tear up! isn't being a mama the best??? -kelsey

    ReplyDelete