Saturday, May 1, 2010

2038

I often wonder what Cora will grow up to do.

When I think back on my childhood answers to the question of “what do you want to be when you grow up?” I have a hard time recalling all of the occupations I mentioned throughout the years -- garbage truck driver, orthodontist, superhero, psychologist, Oprah – you know, the usual’s. The truth is I can be very indecisive. Once in college, I changed my major at least a dozen times only to eventually decide that my experiences in being so indecisive comfortable in a variety of majors was the perfect foundation for a career in helping others choose their academic programs and professions. Go figure.

Daniel, on the other hand, was a notoriously horrible student. He was never a behavior problem in class, but he absolutely never applied himself either. School was boring, and homework was stupid. Summer school was his vacation vocation. Ironically, he is now a teacher.

Of course we are all more than what we do for a living, and as can be seen from our histories, one’s career choices can be surprising. Yet I sometimes find myself trying to glance into the future to see what Cora Wren might be up to when she’s our age. Yikes!

My hope for her is that she can find herself with a big ol' smile on her face. She’s getting lots of practice these days at doing just that, and her smile is contagious too. If you don’t believe me, just watch this:


New Year, New Adventures from Amanda Bennett on Vimeo.


I can guarantee that neither of us ever dreamt that we would be lucky enough to be mom and dad to the sweetest girl on the planet.  Those are the jobs and titles we’re most proud of!

No comments:

Post a Comment